Skip Navigation
Angelo State University
Undeclared Advising

Search Site

Information for:

Advising Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my academic advisor?

Declared Major Your academic department assigns an advisor to you according to your major. Contact the secretary in your major department to find out who will be your advisor.

Predeclared Major Predeclared students with less than 30 semester credit hours are advised in the Freshman College by the Office of Predeclared Advising located on the third floor of the Library A312.  All other predeclared majors are advised as PRDC according to core requirements not fulfilled or referred to academic departments to declare a major and receive advising through that major.

When should I make an appointment with my advisor?

Anytime you have academic questions, you should feel free to contact your academic advisor. It is a good idea to schedule an appointment with your advisor as soon as the class schedules are available for online viewing.

What should I talk to my advisor about?

Talk to your advisor about any academic need or concern you may have. Your advisor should be knowledgeable in degree requirements as well as ASU policies and services in order to advise you or refer you to other campus resources.

When am I eligible to register?

During early registration, students are assigned a registration time based on the number of credit hours earned, identified as classification. The more credit hours that are earned, the sooner the student is eligible to register. Classifications are broken down as follows:

Freshman 0–29 hours
Sophomore 30–59 hours
Junior 60–89 hours
Senior 90 or more hours

Do I have to see an advisor to register?

Yes. Generally speaking, students are required to see an advisor and discuss future semester plans in order for the advisor to clear the Advising Hold placed on all students prior to registration. Each department has specific advising criteria for their students. Consult with your major department regarding their advising policy and scheduling.

Where do I register?

A student may register in person through the Registrar’s office or online through the ASU portal RamPort.

What are the core requirements?

The core curriculum (often referred to as the basics or general requirements) is a 44-hour block that all students must complete regardless of the major. Certain majors require specific courses from the core. For example, a BBA degree requires BCIS 1305 from the computer literacy requirement.

Is it a good idea to take all the core classes first and then concern myself with choosing a major?

Not necessarily. Many majors prefer students to have specific courses from the core requirements (Nursing, Computer Science, and Business majors to name a few). Discuss your ideas with your advisor to avoid taking classes that may not apply to the major you choose. Some majors have prerequisite courses that need to be completed early to avoid a delay in projected graduation. Students that are predeclared majors but are considering a particular major may want to take an introductory course in the major that they are considering.

Who can I contact if I have general advising questions?

The Office of Predeclared Advising at 325-942-2710 or

What is a major?

A major is a group of courses which constitutes a principal field of study. In most cases, it includes courses from only one academic specialization. In some majors it will include courses from two or more disciplines. Specific requirements for each major are defined in the University Catalog.

What is a minor?

A minor is a group of courses which constitutes a secondary, less intensive field of study.

Single Area Minor must have 18 semester credit hours, of which a minimum of six of those semester credit hours must be at the advanced level (i.e. junior or senior level) and taken in residence (at ASU).

Multiple Area Minor is a set of courses from two or three selected academic disciplines. Nine semester credit hours including at least six advanced semester credit hours in residence are required in each component discipline of a multiple area minor.

Do all majors require a minor?

Most degrees do require a minor.  Exceptions include majors in Business, Social Work, and other degrees with an interdisciplinary major that states the minor as optional.

How and when do I need to declare a major?

To declare a major, a student must go to the department of the desired major in order to complete the necessary paper work. Declaring a major can be done at any time, but it is highly recommended that it be done by the beginning of the sophomore year. Declaring a major does not lock a student into a certain major forever. A student may change a major at any time.

How do I change a major?

Go to the department of the desired major, speak with an advisor, and fill out a change of major form. The form will be forwarded to the registrar to complete the process.

What if I don’t know what I want to major in?

Many students are unsure of what to major in. During the first year of college many students take courses in the core. Students may be encouraged to take a course outside of the core that is of interest to them. Students are encouraged to visit the Career Development office (UC 114) to work with a career counselor. The career counselors work with students to find their weaknesses and their strengths and correlate these to a major field of study and career choice.

What is a degree plan?

A degree plan is a formalized plan that shows the requirements and courses that must be successfully completed in order to graduate, initiated by the department of the student’s major.

How do I apply for a degree plan?

Go to the department of the desired major, speak with an advisor, and fill out an application for a degree plan. This form will be forwarded to the Dean of the specific college and will become official. The Dean’s office will send a letter to the student acknowledging that the degree plan has been filed.

How do I drop a course?

To drop a course a student must go to the Registrar’s Office during the first twelve class days of a long semester or the first four days of a summer term and complete the necessary paper work. After the twelfth class day during a long semester or after the fourth class day of a summer term a student must get a signed drop slip from the instructor of the course and take it to the Registrar’s Office to complete the process of dropping a course.

If I stop attending a course will I automatically be dropped?

No. A student that stops attending class will NOT automatically be dropped from the course. A student must follow the required procedure to drop a course. Failure to follow required procedure for dropping a course will result in the grade of “F.”

When should I consider dropping a course?

Dropping a course is a personal choice. A student may want to consider dropping a course if, after consulting with the Instructor of the course, there is little or no chance of passing the course. If attendance declines due to unforeseen circumstances, dropping the course may be an option. However, there may be ramifications by dropping a course. Financial aid, scholarships, health insurance, and residence hall eligibility may be affected.

What is the deadline for dropping a course?

Each semester will have a cut off date for dropping courses. Please check the Important Dates at the beginning of each semester for the last day to drop a course. Students will not be able to drop a course once that date has passed.

How do I withdraw from the university?

Students may initiate withdrawal from the university by going to the Registrar’s office, Hardeman 200.

How is grade point average (GPA) calculated?

A student’s academic progress is measured in terms of the student’s overall grade point average, which is based on all course work (including developmental courses) taken in which a computable grade is awarded. The student’s overall grade point average is computed by dividing the total number of quality (grade) points earned by the total number of quality hours. For example, a sophomore student who has 35 quality hours and has earned 85 quality points would have a 2.43 overall grade point average: 85 quality points ÷ 35 quality hours = 2.43 GPA.

Calculate your GPA

Are there minimum GPA requirements to be eligible to graduate?

Yes, based on which major the student is following. Consult graduation requirements by department in the undergraduate catalog or department web pages that show degree plans for the major.

What is academic standing?

Academic standing is determined by a student’s academic progress at ASU based on GPA. GPA requirements for academic standing are NOT the same as GPA requirements for financial aid eligibility.  Contact the Financial Aid office for details.

Academic Standing details
Academic Standing GPA Requirement
Dean’s List (Fall & spring only with at least 12 college-level hours completed) 3.25–4.00
Good Standing 2.0 and above
Academic Probation Less than 2.0
Academic Suspension 00–29 hours, less than 1.35
30–59 hours, less than 1.60
60–89 hours, less than 1.80
90 or more hours, less than 1.90