Philosophy teaches you to consider alternate approaches and perspectives when contemplating life questions. Its reflective character helps you better understand yourself and the world around you. Unlike other academic disciplines, philosophy does not consist of gathering information, but rather in cultivating critical and analytical skills. Philosophy also fosters personal and intellectual growth.
Become a Philosophy Major
Angelo State offers these options for students interested in philosophy:
Why Study Philosophy?
Philosophy contributes to both academic and non-academic pursuits, and also helps you develop skills that are valued in the job market. Studying philosophy increases your intellectual flexibility by exposing you to worldviews different from your own. Philosophy teaches you:
- How to identify various sides of an issue and weigh the merits of each side
- How to think and write critically and effectively
- To be tolerant and flexible when dealing with others who hold ideas/opinions different from your own
Philosophy studies can help prepare you for almost any career and can be beneficial if you plan to pursue graduate studies. A study commissioned by the Educational Resources Information Center demonstrated that philosophy majors consistently outperformed other majors on standardized graduate admissions tests.
Philosophy majors may pursue careers in any of these areas:
- Education (teaching and non-teaching fields)
- Religious ministry
- Computer science and technology
- Criminal justice
- Publishing, public relations or journalism
- Finance analyzing
- Technical and professional writing
Visit the American Philosophical Association to learn more about career opportunities and why studying philosophy is a good idea.